Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Thursday’s class (2/18/10) we went over the screen writing program. There are many different things that go with the program that make it work really well.

In our class, we are broken up into groups of four and five and we have to make a film. The film will be shown at the end of the semester in a film festival. Each group has a specific genre on which they need to do their film accordingly. The genres are horror, drama, comedy, romance, action, and experimental. Within each group, there are roles that we have to play. Someone has to be the director; someone has to be the editor, and sound effects person. My group is doing a horror film. There are other things that we have to have in are film such as a Mime/clown, must have the line “Why is this happening to me today of all days?” and "It would be better for us not to talk about that." And we must have a guitar, a cheese grater, and skull. I don’t think it would too difficult to have any of these items in our horror film.

In my group, I am responsible for the sound effects. When we watched the movie/documentary on sound in films, I saw that there were a lot of elements to it. I can’t just think of a sound and make it happen; I have to get resources that are or close to the sound that I am looking for. Without the sound in the movie, it would be hard to determine the mood and give it an actual effect.

Since I have been in the class, I look at movies in a different way. I view movies with more appreciation also. When I see a movie, I look for the setting of the lighting that sets the tone and how it goes with the movie. I also listen for the sound of music if there is any, and when it plays in the movie and why. But I also look for the shot. I try to figure out what’s the reason a dolly shot is being use or a wide shot. I think about the essence behind the picture.

Ending question: Has there been any movies that contain more than three genres?

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited about the parameters of your group. This is a really creative opportunity for you!

    More than three genres? Well, horror-comedies are common (Zombieland, recently). I'm trying hard to think of three-genre movies ... do you have any examples to suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I think horror could be one of the coolest genres to work with. There are so many different elements of fear that you could play into. I look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be really fun to do a horror film. I tend to be easily scared by them so I think if I were on the production side of one my fear may disintegrate. I'm definitely pumped to view your group's final product. I know you guys will create something great!

    ReplyDelete